|Student Wellness Center opens Sept. 25|
After nearly three years of planning, the University will cut the ribbon Monday, Sept. 25, to the new 107,000-square-feet, $20 million UND Student Wellness Center.
Celebrations will begin at 3 p.m. with a building dedication, ribbon cutting, and grand opening events, including a chef-off by UND first lady, Adele Kupchella, and local celebrity chef, Mr. Kim Holmes of Sanders 1907. Events and tours are open to the public from 3 to 6 p.m. (see schedule below). At 7 p.m. the building will open for business, allowing members to experience the new facility and services.
Schedule of events open to the public:
3 p.m., building dedication and ribbon cutting at the Royse Atrium with speeches by:
* UND President Charles Kupchella
* Al Royse, member of the UND Alumni Association Board of Directors and building donor
* Lt. Gov. Jack Dalrymple
* Don Hensrud, chair of the Division of Preventive and Occupational Medicine
5 p.m. Chef-Off at the Burnt Toast Demo Kitchen: UND first lady Adele Kupchella vs. Mr. Kim Holms
Highlights throughout the week will include free rock climbing for all members on the 28-foot rock wall, and a spin challenge in the state-of-the-art spin studio. Late night events include a concert featuring Ded Walleye and fashion show sponsored by the Wellness Center’s Natural High program. Events throughout the week will yield the chance for students to win a free semester’s worth of tuition, among other great prizes.
The UND Student Wellness Center is a cutting-edge operation that seeks to enhance lifestyles for a lifetime through a seven-dimension approach to wellness. This multimillion-dollar facility offers unique opportunities for students to embrace all dimensions of wellness and enrich their quality of life. To learn more about the Student Wellness Center, contact Amanda Anderson, assistant director of marketing, at 777-0486.
Student Wellness Center facts and figures:
* 15,000 square feet dedicated for cardio and weight machines.
* 57 cardio machines, 17 bikes, and 109 state-of-the-art weight stations on the weight and cardio floors.
* The Spin Studio is equipped with 21 stationary bikes in a high-tech room for members to take virtual tours of scenic parks on a large screen. A disco ball, black lights, smoke machine, and strobe lights will also add to the atmosphere for a club-like feel.
* The new Student Wellness Center has 300 student employee positions and internships.
* A 200-meter running track runs throughout the center with windows along most of the track for a natural light and outdoor feeling.
* Three professional-quality basketball courts are available for recreational games and open court time.
* The Multipurpose Activity Court has a poured floor that allows for roller hockey and indoor soccer with built-in goals.
* A 28-foot rock wall will test experienced climber skills and new climber interest.
* The Hopper-Danley Quiet Lounge provides a quiet place for students to meditate and reflect.
* The Burnt Toast demonstration kitchen allows students the opportunity to learn how to cook healthy and nutritious meals.
* A massage room will be available with a licensed message therapist to relieve the everyday stresses of life.
* The Well juice bar will offer all-natural smoothies, fresh breads and soups.
* The Wearhouse pro shop will offer members Wellness Center apparel as well as any items they may have forgotten at home.
Students pay for their memberships in their student fees, which include $50 per semester for bond payment and $45 per semester for operational costs.
Memberships are available to all UND campus community members and affiliates.