|Sign up by Jan. 21 for Course Design Workshop |
The Office of Instructional Development is sponsoring a free "Creating Significant Learning through Integrated Course Design" workshop Thursday, Feb. 5, from 9 a.m. to noon in the River Valley Room, Memorial Union.
Individuals or teams from departments will want to attend if:
◦ you are creating a new course (graduate, undergraduate, non-degree) delivered in any format (distance, online, on campus or a mixed delivery). The workshop can serve as a first step for those applying for summer funding through a Summer Instructional Development Professorship (information at http://www.und.edu/dept/oid/
◦ you need to standardize course outcomes, across on campus sections or between distance and on campus sections: this would provide an opportunity for several faculty as a team to determine course objectives/ learning outcomes and work on assignments and assessments.
◦ you need to create a new course or rework an existing course for the ES program (perhaps a capstone or advanced communications course or a course that meets the new diversity requirement). The workshop starts with the desired learning outcome and assists teachers in figuring out how best to create a course that fosters student achievement of those outcomes.
◦ you need sites for the collection of meaningful assessment data in your course or program. The workshop focuses on genuine assessment of student learning and could serve as a precursor to assessment retreat funding (available from the provost’s office).
◦ you are a graduate student who would appreciate the rare opportunity to focus on your development as current and/or future teacher.
The workshop will be conducted by Stewart Ross, founding director of the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning at Minnesota State Mankato (honored by the Carnegie Foundation as a CASTL Leadership College).
Participants must RSVP (via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org) by Jan. 21 and need to attend the entire three-hour (9 a.m. to noon) workshop. Registration and continental breakfast will be available at 8:30 a.m. in the River Valley Room.
-- Anne Kelsch, Director of Instructional Development, OID, email@example.com, 7-4233