|UND celebrates 125th anniversary with birthday cake Wednesday|
The "Q" is almost here! The University of North Dakota will celebrate its Quasquicentennial -- the 125th anniversary of founding of the University -- with back-to-back events Feb. 27-28.
The first event is a public birthday bash Wednesday, Feb. 27, featuring a huge cake, ice cream, and live entertainment at the UND Memorial Union Ballroom, 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. This event happens 125 years from the date the UND Charter was signed. At 1:25 p.m., the assembled will sing Happy Birthday to UND (wear your Photo on the Green T-shirt, or just UND green) and at 2 p.m., a brief program will be held with introductions of special guests and authors of departmental histories. A special historic moment will occur at 2:30 p.m. when the film produced for UND's centennial, "The New Century," will be shown.
Grab UND 125 memorabilia; and UND Staff Senate cookbooks will be on sale. Stay a while, or all afternoon. Join in the celebration, "From Tradition to Tomorrow!"
On Thursday, Feb. 28, UND will hold its annual Founders Day celebration, always the last Thursday in February. The 2008 Founders Day banquet will be held in the Alerus Center. The social begins at 5:45 p.m., with the banquet at 6:30 p.m. This year, UND has expanded the display area to represent the theme "From Tradition to Tomorrow." Artifacts, interactive displays, photographs and the stage area will pay a tribute to the growth of the University and to the dreams for tomorrow. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased by contacting Terri Machart at 777-2724 or e-mail her at email@example.com.
At the banquet, the University will present $18,500 in faculty and department awards, made possible by the UND Foundation, Fellows of the University, and the University of North Dakota. UND will also recognize retiring and recently retired faculty and staff, as well as those who are in their 25th year of serving the University.
The faculty and three departments honored for excellence in teaching, research and service with cash awards and plaque include:
* Donald Sens, professor of pathology, UND Foundation /McDermott Award for Excellence in Teaching, Research or Creative Activity, and Service, $2,500;
* Ryan Zerr, assistant professor of mathematics, UND Foundation /McDermott Award for Individual Excellence in Teaching, $2,000;
* Mark Guy, associate professor of teaching and learning, UND Foundation Award for Individual Excellence in Teaching, $2,000;
* Jeffrey Sun, assistant professor of educational leadership, UND Foundation /Lydia and Arthur Saiki Prize for Graduate or Professional Teaching Excellence, $2,000;
* Janice Goodwin, associate professor of nutrition and dietetics, UND Foundation /Thomas J. Clifford Faculty Achievement Award for Excellence in Development and Service, $2,000;.
* Manohar Kulkarni, professor of mechanical engineering, UND Foundation /Karleen Rosaaen Faculty Award for Excellence in Academic Advising, $2,000;
* The Honors Program, Fellows of the University Award for Departmental Excellence in Service, $2,000;
* The Department of Psychology, Fellows of the University Award for Departmental Excellence in Research, $2,000;
* The Department of Sociology, UND Foundation /Thomas J. Clifford Faculty Achievement Award for Excellence in Teaching, $2,000.
Other upcoming 125h Anniversary events:
* Tuesday, Feb. 26, 7 p.m. at the Empire Theatre: Salman Rushdie Book Discussion of Satanic Verses, facilitated by Brian Schill, UND Honors Program.
* Tuesday, March 25, 7 p.m. at the Chester Fritz Auditorium: Great Conversations with author Salman Rushdie. This event is held in conjunction with the 2008 Writers Conference. Rushdie will read from one of his novels and engage in a discussion and answer questions from the audience throughout the evening. This event is free of charge.