|UND law students provide free tax prep program|
University law students will prepare and electronically file income tax returns, free of charge, for individuals who qualify through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
VITA is a free service that provides free e-file for participants filing federal and state tax returns. Assistants are certified by the IRS to complete tax returns for individuals and families who made less than $40,000 in 2007. The School of Law’s Public Interest Law Student Association (PILSA) is sponsoring the effort that will run through April 12.
Law students will prepare tax returns Tuesday, Thursday, and select Saturdays in both Grand Forks and for the first time at Spirit Lake. The session schedule and locations follow.
Grand Forks sessions:
* Feb. 19-28 and March 11 to April 10, each Tuesday and Thursday, 6 to 8 p.m. at the University Apartment Community Center, 525 Stanford Rd.
* Saturday, March 22, 29, and April 12, noon to 4 p.m. at the Grand Forks Public Library
Spirit Lake sessions:
* Saturday, Feb. 23, March 8, April 5 and 12, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
* Saturday, April 5, The Blue Building
* Saturday, Feb. 23, and March 8, CCCC Student Lounge
Individuals interested in participating must bring:
* Social Security Card
* Proof of Identity
* All W-2, 1098, 1099 Forms
* Banking information for refund deposits
* Estimated Tax Payments made
* Amounts of other income
* 2006 tax return if available
* For married couples filing jointly, both people must be present
Limitations do apply, so for complicated tax returns PILSA advises people to consult a paid tax professional. For additional information or questions, contact PILSA via e-mail at email@example.com.
PILSA is a student organization at the University of North Dakota School of Law. The organization is committed to using the law to create social change and increasing access to justice for segments of the population that are underrepresented in the community.
-- Rob Carolin, Director of Alumni & Public Relations, Law School, firstname.lastname@example.org, 777-2856