|Presidential Search Committee gives October report|
The Presidential Search Committee met Oct. 23 to screen the applications received as of that date. The Committee reviewed 38 applicants and selected 16 to take to the next stage, which will be reference checking for these applicants. The names and affiliations of those 16 people appear at the end of this report.
The next meeting of the committee will be Monday, Nov. 5. The agenda for that meeting includes three items: (1) review any applications received since the Oct. 23 meeting; (2) report on the reference checks; and (3) select candidates to advance to the stage of screening interviews with the committee. We anticipate inviting 8-10 candidates to the screening interviews, to be held at an airport hotel in Minneapolis on the Tuesday and Wednesday after Thanksgiving.
At this time, the committee’s checking will be limited to calling references named by the applicants and to using search engines to explore information posted on the web. For the applicants who are advanced to the next stage on Nov. 5, the committee will expand its inquiry to include sources not listed by the applicants as references.
Following the November screening interviews, the committee will select the candidates to invite for on-campus interviews in January, with each of those candidates visiting campus for two full days of interview activities. The committee will meet for the last time on Jan. 28, to determine which candidates to recommend to the State Board of Higher Education. The Board will then convene in Grand Forks on Feb. 4 and 5 to conduct its interviews with the finalists and select the next President.
We appreciate the continued interest in the search process, and look forward to presenting the campus and the wider community with a strong slate of candidates as we go forward in the search.
Paul A. LeBel, dean, UND School of Law
Chair, UND Presidential Search Committee
Applicants selected for reference checking:
* Brown, Ronald, Dean, College of Health Professions, Temple University
* Caputo, David, President Emeritus and Professor, Pace University
* Elbert, Dennis, Dean, College of Business and Public Administration, University of North Dakota
* Isenhour, Thomas, Provost, Old Dominion University
* Johnson, Phyllis, Beltsville Area Director, USDA Agricultural Research Services
* Kelley, Robert, Dean, College of Health Sciences, University of Wyoming
* Keon, Thomas, Dean, College of Business Administration, University of Central Florida
* Long, Kathleen, Dean, College of Nursing, University of Florida
* Myerson, Allen, Provost and Senior Vice President, Illinois Institute of Technology
* Olson, Gary, Dean, College of Arts and Sciences, Illinois State University
* Roth, Don, Dean, Graduate School, University of Wyoming
* Scarborough, Scott Former Executive Vice President, DePaul University
* Smith, Bruce, Dean, School of Aerospace Sciences, University of North Dakota
* Staben, Charles, Associate Vice President for Research, University of Kentucky
* Weisenstein, Greg, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, University of North Dakota
* Wray, Warren, Kent Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, University of Missouri - Rolla
-- Jan Orvik, Writer/Editor, University Relations, email@example.com, 777-3621