|Note grant, contract award end dates|
Since our conversion to PeopleSoft we have noticed a large amount of retros (salary redistributions) taking place. This has created a lot of headaches for the campus as a whole. In trying to reduce the retros we have implemented the following process for grant and contract awards:
• The first week of every month Grants and Contracts Administration will run a query identifying all projects with end dates for the prior month.
• This list will be distributed to the appropriate grants officer to determine if an extension or modification to the project is in progress. If there is no extension or modification in progress, the grants officer will mark the projects to have the HR Combo Code deleted.
• Once it is determined the HR Combo Code should be deleted, a memo along with a spreadsheet, identifying the projects, is sent to the department informing them they will need to process the necessary paperwork to move the salary on the project to another funding source.
• If the department is anticipating an extension or an award modification, the department chair or dean should initiate a memo to Grants and Contracts Administration accepting the financial risk in the event a modification is not forthcoming. This needs to be done in a timely manner by the 15th of the month.
• After the 15th of the month, Grants and Contracts Administration will forward the list of projects to payroll and the Combo Code will be deleted.
The end result is payroll will not be allowed to post to grant and contract projects after the end date.
Items you will need to be aware of:
• Position Funding forms must be submitted immediately for any positions that still list the deleted Combo Code on the department budget table.
• Deleted Combo Codes should no longer appear on hourly reporting forms after the project end date.
• The appropriate Combo Code used on time cards.
• Due to the short turnaround time in Payroll, if a department is not responsive, Payroll will pick a department fund to charge the payroll.
• Extension requests or modification requests to awards need to be signed by Barry Milavetz, the authorized organizational representative.
If you have any question, please contact your grant and contract officer.
-- David Schmidt, Manager, Grants & Contract Administration, email@example.com, 7-2505