|Take part in Photo on the Green, Monday|
The Quasquicentennial (UND's 125th Anniversary) will be celebrated in 2008. In preparation for "The Q," I invite you to participate in the Photo on the Green. This will be the first celebration of many that will help the community honor the University's long history and growing future. The Photo on the Green will be held Monday, Aug. 20, on the Carnegie Hall north lawn (behind the Chester Fritz Library). The event will begin at 1 p.m. and the photo will be taken at 1:25 p.m. The first 5,000 people to come will receive a free commemorative 125th anniversary T-shirt. I encourage all members of the UND family to take part, including students, staff, faculty, alumni and other members of the campus community. The goal is to have thousands of participants form a large UND flame logo on the campus lawn. Please invite all students, faculty, and staff to participate. The process of taking the photo will be videotaped by the Television Center, and the resulting short video will be used to promote UND's 125th anniversary. So mark your calendars to be a part of UND history.
In an effort to make it go as smoothly as possible, here are a few general directions:
• The UND marching band students will serve as our guide for making the UND formation. They will arrive early and be in GRAY T-shirts. Other pre-identified groups who are able to commit enough time to work with the marching band will help “thicken” the letters. We expect each letter to be about four people wide.
• Between 1 and 1:15 p.m., everyone who plans to participate should come to the lawn area between the Chester Fritz Library and Carnegie Hall. T-shirt distribution stations will be set up along the sidewalks or main entry points to the area. You will receive a GREEN T-shirt. All T-shirts are men’s XL.
• Limited quantities of GREEN T-shirts are also available in advance at Barnes & Noble, the T-shirt sponsor, between Aug. 13–17.
• All people wearing GREEN T-shirts should fill in around and in between the UND letters (GRAY T-shirts). Get close! We are hoping to have thousands participate.
• Once we are in formation (planning for 1:25 p.m.), the historical photo will be taken. We also are videotaping the event for TV commercials and other purposes so you will be directed to say a few phrases in unison, such as “The Q is Coming!” We plan for this part to take no longer than 5-7 minutes.
A lot of planning has gone into making this event happen, but since we have never done anything like this before, we do ask for your patience and cooperation. The Photo on the Green will be a fun and memorable event that we will use to celebrate our 125th Anniversary. So cross your fingers for nice weather and show your UND spirit on Aug. 20!
Thank you to Barnes & Noble, the University Bookstore, for sponsoring the 125th Anniversary T-shirts for this exciting event. If you plan to participate in the Photo on the Green, you may pick up your T-shirt (while supplies last) at Barnes & Noble from Aug. 13-17. -- Charles Kupchella, president.