|Remembering Alan Meldrum|
Alan H. Meldrum, retired professor emeritus of industrial engineering, died July 14 at Valley Square - Woodside Village, Grand Forks. He was 95. He was known as "The Balloon Man."
Meldrum, the son of William and Phyllis (Hayward) Meldrum, was born May 24, 1912 in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada. He attended the University of Alberta, where he received his a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering. He was employed with Algoma Steel Corporation and the British American Oil Refining Co. in Canada. He received a bachelor's and master's degree at the University of Oklahoma in petroleum engineering. He was appointed as a research associate at Pennsylvania State University and later completed work on his doctorate in petroleum and natural gas engineering.
He came to the University of North Dakota in 1954 as an associate professor, promoted to professor in 1959, and was appointed to the industrial engineering department.
Meldrum married Erma Goodwin of Miami, Okla.
He continued to expand his engineering knowledge working during the summers at Amerada Petroleum Co., in Tulsa, Okla., and the Pan American Petroleum Co. in Cody, Wyo. He spent five summers in Huntsville, Ala., with the George C. Marshall Space Flight Center, and had an assignment with the Corps of Engineers on the Ballistic Missile Defense System at Langdon, N.D. He retierd from UND after 25 years.
Meldrum was a member of the National Society of Professional Engineers and the North Dakota Society of Professional Engineers, having served as its president. He was an honorary registered Professional Engineer. Other professional distinctions include: member of the American Institute of Industrial Engineers, honorary membership in the American Society of Engineering Education and the North Dakota Academy of Science. He is listed in Who's Who in America, Who's Who in the Midwest, the Dictionary of International Biography, and American Men and Women of Science.
Dr. Meldrum was involved in many fraternal organizations including: Acacia Masonic Lodge, Kem Temple Shrine, Grand Forks Lions Club, formerly a Grand Forks Elks Club member, and past president and past area governor of the Grand Forks Toastmasters Club.
His hobbies included amateur radio, piano, and organ. He received the Sertomans Service to Mankind Award in 1977.
Some of his many contributions include: helping people of all ages to develop good communication skills through his work with the Toastmasters; bringing joy to many people through his gift of music via the piano and song, as he did when he went to Tufte Manor to entertain the guests. A member of the Kem Temple, he could frequently be seen leading their members in song on their float in the annual Potato Bowl parade. His many unselfish volunteer hours with the Kem Temple ultimately went to help the less fortunate at the 19 childrens' hospitals and the three burn institutes. Who wouldn't recognize his smile (or that of the recipient) as he created an animal for them from a simple balloon? And as a member of the Retired Teachers Association, he continued to teach by example, by helping to collect cash donations for the grand Forks Food Cupboard.
He was preceded in death by his wife of 57 years, two sisters, and one brother.
Survivors are two sisters-in-law, and several nieces and nephews.
A memorial service is set for 2 p.m. Thursday, July 19, at the First Presbyterian Church, 5555 S. Washington St. If desired, memorial contributions may be made to the Shriner Children's Hospitals and Burn Institute or the First Presbyterian Church Organ Fund.