|UND takes gold, silver, bronze awards in CASE competition|
UND walked away with seven awards -- three gold, two silver and two bronze, in categories such as excellence in fundraising materials writing, excellence in news release writing, graphic design, publications, and solving internal communications challenges -- from the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) during the CASE District VI conference held Jan. 21-23 in Kansas City, Mo.
CASE is the international organization for educational advancement. Its membership is comprised of college, university and independent school staff members in the areas of alumni relations, communications and marketing, and philanthropy.
"This is a great recognition for the University of North Dakota. This was a real team effort, among the staff of the Office of University Relations and the staffs of the UND Alumni Association and UND Foundation and the School of Medicine and Health Sciences," said Don Kojich, executive associate vice president for university relations.
More than 1,000 entries were received for the CASE District VI awards from 70 colleges, universities and independent schools in Missouri, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming.
UND's awards included:
* A Gold Award for Excellence in Communications -- Periodicals, External Audience Tabloid/Newsletter, for Beyond Horizon's, a four-times a year six-page publication that is a new approach to President Charles Kupchella's President's Report. The award went to the UND Office of University Relations, Don Kojich, executive associate vice president for university relations, Peter Johnson, associate director, Juan Pedraza, writer, Richard Larson, designer, and Chuck Kimmerle, photographer.
* A Gold Award for Excellence in Graphic Design – Series or Multiple-Piece Project -- Four or More Colors, Single-Page Format, for "More than Beads and Feathers," a project to highlight high-achieving graduates from the University of North Dakota with American Indian heritage. The award went to the UND Office of University Relations, Chuck Kimmerle, designer and photographer.
* A Gold Award for Excellence in Graphic Design – Cover, Four or More Colors, for the cover the Alumni Review. The award went to the UND Alumni Association, Amanda Hvidsten, editor, and the UND Office of University Relations, Chuck Kimmerle, photographer.
* A Silver Award for Excellence in Writing -- Press Release, for "Mike Gaffey Awards and Gala," written by Juan Miguel Pedraza, writer with the Office of University Relations, and David Bullock, graduate student writer with the Office of University Relations.
* Silver Award for Excellence in Communications -- Overall Publications, Publication Program Improvement, North Dakota Medicine, Pamela Knudson, Amanda Scurry, Victoria Swift, and John Lee.
* Bronze Award for Excellence in Institutional Relations, Best Solution to an Institutional Communications Challenge, University Letter Online, Office of University Relations. Jan Orvik is UND's Internal Communications Coordinator.
* Bronze Award for Excellence in Fundraising Materials, Development Writing, Promo Kit, UND School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Blanche Abdallah, Chuck Kimmerle, John Lee, Wendy Opsahl, Victoria Swift.
-- Jan Orvik, Writer/Editor, University Relations, email@example.com, 777-3621