| Learn how to love/like/accept/make peace with your body|
Students, faculty and staff are invited to participate in Love Your Body Week events designed to help you become more aware of how the media influences the way we view our bodies, as well as help you appreciate and take care of your body.
* Monday, Jan. 29, 6:15 p.m., International Centre, 2908 University Ave. -- "Meditation for Body Appreciation and Body Image Awareness" with Lora Sloan Anderson, director of Lotus Meditation Center. Experience a guided meditation on body acceptance and gratitude. Learn to appreciate the marvelous things your body does for you to improve your feelings about your body. Work toward healthier ways of being with your body and a greater sense of ease with yourself.
* Tuesday, Jan. 30, 5:15 p.m., group exercise room, Wellness Center -- "Belly Dancing" with Kara Larson. Did you know that belly dancing can improve your health? This natural body movement has been found to improve posture, reduce stress, improve body image, safely tone muscles, and even aid in digestion. Come join us and learn a new way to nourish your body and yourself.
* Wednesday, Jan. 31, noon, International Centre, 2908 University Ave. -- "Thick Thighs Anonymous" with Kathy Coudle King, a Women’s Center Meet, Eat & Learn. Join us for lunch and the powerful rumble of the thunder of thighs! This comic performance piece by Kathy Coudle King will be followed by some journaling time and small group discussion.
* Thursday, Feb. 1, 7 p.m., Burnt Toast Kitchen, Wellness Center -- "How Do You Eat - Mindless or Mindful?" with Mandy Burbank, Student Health Services and Allen Anderson, Wellness Center. How can you manipulate your environment to eat better? We know eating healthy can be challenging especially when the average adult makes over 200 food decisions a day. We invite you to this event to learn about small easy changes you can make to eat better and feel better. Free food will be provided.
Hollywood Hoax Display
Experience first hand how the media manipulates us into thinking our bodies aren’t good enough. Check out the pictures of models before and after the images are digitally altered to make them appear perfect. Write down your thoughts on the Peace and War Graffiti Wall. Pick up an eye-opening booklet on the media and body image, and enter the drawing for door prizes. Get some tips on how to have a more positive body image and find out about campus resources that are here to help.
* 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday, Jan. 29, and Tuesday, Jan. 30, Memorial Union
* 3 to 7 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 31, and Thursday, Feb. 1, Wellness Center
Love Your Body Week is sponsored by UND Counseling Center, Student Health Services, Wellness Center and Women’s Center. Contact the Student Health promotion office at 777-2097 or the UND Women’s Center at 777-4300 for more information.
-- Jane Croeker, Student Health Promotion Advisor, Student Health Services, email@example.com, 777-4817