|Nominations sought for Kupchella Award|
Nominations are being sought for the Charles E. Kupchella Preventive Medicine and Wellness Award.
The award recognizes the achievements of individuals and organizations who have worked to improve health and wellness through lowered rates of disease and disability by developing and delivering effective health promotion and prevention initiatives.
Named for President Charles E. Kupchella, the Kupchella Wellness Award will be presented next May during the UND medical school's M.D. Class of '07 commencement awards brunch. Last year's recipients were the Ina Mae Rude Aquatic Center in Stanley, ND, and Dr. Nancy Vogeltanz-Holm, associate professor of clinical neuroscience and director of the Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research at the UND medical school.
UND is seeking nominations of individuals and organizations in North Dakota and surrounding states who have contributed significantly to disease prevention and healthful living. Consideration will be given to those who have:
- made significant contributions in the field of health promotion and disease prevention including the clinical, education and research areas
- demonstrated excellence in a function or on a project related to prevention or health promotion
- taken initiative, shown innovativeness, persistence, had an impact and/or made a difference in prevention/health promotion to rural Americans
Projects may address one or more of the goals and focus areas outlined in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' "Healthy People 2010: Understanding and Improving Health" and "Steps to a Healthier US". See www.healthypeople.gov/ or call 800-367-4725 for more information. Areas of special interest are:
- Promotion of physical activity
- Reduction of overweight or obesity
- Reduction or elimination of tobacco use
- Reduction or elimination of substance abuse
- Promotion of responsible sexual behavior
- Reduction or elimination of injury and violence
The nomination should briefly address the following:
- Why should this individual (or organization) be considered for this award?
- What are the key outcomes and achievements of the program, policy, contribution or
- Describe the nominee's accomplishments; attach CV (up to three letters of support may be included)
Emphasis will be given to programs that demonstrate creativity and innovation, leadership, sustainability, replicability and effectiveness.
The nomination letter and supporting materials are due by 5 p.m. March 1, 2007, in the Office of Public Affairs, UND School of Medicine and Health Sciences, 501 N. Columbia Road, Grand Forks, ND 58202-9037.
The award recipient will receive a $1,000 cash award and a commemorative plate. A picture of the recipient will be displayed on a plaque in UND's Student Wellness Center.
The award has been made possible by a gift to the UND Foundation from Manuchair Ebadi, senior advisor to the president and associate vice president for health affairs and medical research and associate dean for research and program development at the UND School of Medicine and Health Sciences.
For more information, contact the Office of Public Affairs at the UND School of Medicine and Health Sciences, 701-777-4305.
-- Shelley Pohlman, Assistant to the Director, Public Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org, 701-746-1898