Guidelines announced for developmental leave proposals
Eligible faculty and staff who wish to apply for developmental leave projects for the 2013-14 academic year may submit proposals to the faculty member’s chair and dean or the staff member’s administrative supervisor. Faculty and staff who expect to submit an application should discuss their plans with the appropriate supervisor(s) prior to formally submitting a proposal. Developmental leaves are funded from existing resources in the departments and colleges.
Developmental leave applications and copies of the State Board of Higher Education Policy 701.2 governing developmental leaves are available on the Office of Academic Affairs web site, UND.edu/dept/vpaa/acadaffr/AAForms.html. Please consider the following before applying for a developmental leave:
- At least six years of regular service should have elapsed since one’s initial appointment or since the last developmental leave
- A final report addressing the outcomes of the previous leave must have been filed. These reports indicate the likelihood the candidate can successfully accomplish the proposed plan of work
- A substantive tangible product is the ultimate expected outcome
- The proposed project should not be the subject of an earlier developmental leave
- The proposed project should benefit significantly from, or would not be possible without, the developmental leave
- Developmental leaves to take place locally must clearly address the reasons why the proposed work could not be done elsewhere
Preference will be given to proposals that:
- Involve significant travel elsewhere
- Have some support (financial or otherwise) from another source (or institution)
- Normally, a maximum of two faculty per academic department may take leaves concurrently.
- Requests for one year of support should normally involve two consecutive semesters.
- Faculty who are on developmental leave should refrain from participating in departmental governance and on committees.
- Faculty planning to apply for a developmental leave should consult with the departmental chairperson and the dean of the college before submitting a proposal.
Applications should be submitted to the faculty member’s chair and dean or the staff member’s administrative supervisor. Applications will then be reviewed at the college and/or administrative supervisory level. All proposals are due from deans to the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs on or before Nov. 13. The applications will also be reviewed by Deans, the Provost, and the President.
-- Brenda Schill, Academic Affairs, 777.4141, brenda.schill@UND.edu.