November 13Next Meeting
IEEE’s next meeting is Wednesday November 13 at noon in Harrington Hall 217
Pizza will be available
September 6Meeting Minutes for 8-29-12
Meeting opened with PIZZA!!!!
SEM Senator Report:
Things are happening and I will keep you informed.
We have a little bit o’ money, but we need more to pay for things. So pay for your pop and whatnot.
Pop Fridge is stocked and ready to be used.
Helping with Rolling on the River for some $$
Pizza Ranch fundraiser in the works
September 21st — Mandatory attendance
Fall Plant Tours:
Plans are in the works. Shooting for mid-November
Register to be and IEEE member with UND (free) and Nationals (slightly less than free; ~$32)
Fall Picnic still 9-21
April 18Minutes 4-17-2012
IEEE student faculty
Noah calls meeting
EE chair search – Zach Wygant
Open forum for EE chair candidates
Vijay Devabjaktuni – April 30
Ravi Gorur – May 2
Steve Durbin – May 7
Look for poster and emails for further information and times.
firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about candidates
No money and pay for your pop
Outreach at St. Michael’s Elementary School went well
Looking for volunteers for April 17. Contact Nick if interested.
Done for the year. Pay for your pop.
April 27 at 5 pm at University Park. There will be free food, cake, and pop for IEEE
Please bring $5 if bringing non-IEEE members.
Cole Johnson won the 2012 Lillian Elsinga outstanding student leader.
Big thank you to Outgoing ofﬁcers and good luck to incoming ofﬁcers
Noah ended meeting and handed it over to Salehfar
Fall registration April 2
EE graduating seniors exit interviews April 23-27
UND/NDSU IEEE senior design contest April 26
Cash prizes for top three places.
There will be 3 from UND and 3 from NDSU down in Fargo this year
Reading review day may 4
Finals exam week may 7-11Order of the engineering ring ceremony Friday may 11, 4 pm Burtness Theater
Design expo for SEM on union ballroom on May 1st.
EE/SEM new projects
EE department chair search
Updated computers in student lounge about 2 months ago
EE digital signage system
If you have any news talk to Salehfar to get it on the screen.
Joint ME/EE system laboratory in room 213 is possible over this summer from a grant from Emerson-Rosemount
New classes rooms with DEDP capabilities this year
Wireless and antenna measurement/research chamber
New petroleum engineering program at UND
Stuff you need to know
Essential studies course list updated every semester
EE 480/481 fall for 480 and spring 481
EE 206 for EE majors and EE 206 for non-majors Circuits course
EE computer science focus
CSCI 230 system programming spring sophomore year
CSCI 370 computer architecture, spring junior year
Both classes have been moved to fall without EE knowledge. Faculty in Computer
Science will decide if they should be changed back.
Don’t change schedule after advisor gives you a set schedule because this can
cause problems for both you and your advisor.
Open forum about classes
EE 411 Communications Engineering
Modulation, Fourier transforms, transmitting
EE 490/590 Advanced Communications Engineering
Fiber optics, laser, WiMAX, LTE, Lab with travel to Norway Sweden to start. Cell phone towers and absorbing wireless signals through drive testing
EE 428 Robotics Fundamentals
EE 456 Digital Image Processing
EE 490/590 Phase Array Antenna Design
Multiple antennas and then into fabrication and error analysis and system
performance. Good course after introduction antenna courses. Should
incorporate new antenna lab/experiment
EE 490/590 Engineering Computations.
Optimization with numerical methods. More programming elements with this
EE 490/590 Engineering Systems Reliability
Have to build reliability into the design. Usually not taught in university.
EE 508 Intelligent Decision Systems.
Artiﬁcial intelligent with fuzzy logic and other methods. Class similar to computer
science. Hands on class not to much theory. Programming involved.
More channel scopes. Nice to get 4 channel scopes
High frequency signal generator
Dual monitor in student lounge.
How to purchase equipment is a lot of paperwork and policy.
Have prospective students meet with graduate students and see the labs. Along
with faculty Get better communication with students about visits.
UND IEEE logo around the labs.
Computers in class rooms are crashing during class–Problem is getting worked
DEDP classes are available online. Not everyone is offered.
March 27Minutes 3-22-12
• Meeting called to order by Noah Root
• Handed over to Anne
o College Disney Recruiter
o Disney has general internship programs over the country. First summer will be bottom of the jobs at the parks, but the ability to take classes from Disney University. Housing and transportation to and from work is provided. The second summer you will be in a professional program which will be in your intended major and when you meet with people with that work in your profession.
• Treasurer’s report (Eric)
o We have no money, but picnic fund looks good
o Pay for your pop at the pop fridge
o Look for people taking pop or not paying
• E-council (Nick)
o St. Michael’s After School Science Club
April 10 and 17 (Tuesday)
Will meet once before the dates to do a dry run on the activities
Will take less than 2 hours of your time total (30 minutes for dry run and 45 minutes day of)
Do an demo/experiment with students
Will need 4 or 5 people each day.
Contact Nicholas Enderle at email@example.com or by phone at 701-320-8820 if interested.
• Fundraising (Jordan)
o Taco in a bag April 4th Wednesday over lunch hour
o Pop Fridge is full so buy some pop and PAY FOR IT
• Spring plant tours (Cole)
o Couldn’t get SOFA funding due to SOFA having no money left. Red River donated some money to help with trip. Going to the Chicago area and cost will put on students due to SOFA funding issues
o Companies in Chicago are the headquarters and not engineering facilities, so only cubicles and nothing really to tour or look at
o Not showing much interest by students after funding is an issue.
o Cancelled spring plant tours due to lack of funding and concern about quality of tours in Chicago area.
o Will use money from this semester to start fundraising to have a bigger trip next fall. Possibilities for next year will be Denver or St. Louis.
• SPRING PICNIC: APRIL 27TH
• Officer Elections
o Chair: Chase Freidig
o Co-chair : Tate Carlson
o Treasurer: Seth Roscoe
o Secretary: Zach Wygant
o E-council Rep: Iraina Edwards
o Fundraising: Jordan Sedio (Fall)
Jerod Spray (Fall/Spring)
o Membership: Devin Aune
IEEE Meeting 3-12-22 12:30 P.M.
o Newsletter: Ryan Buss
o Webmaster: Ryan Buss
• Next Meeting will be middle of April around 11 a.m.
o This will be a student/facility meeting
o Will try to schedule time that works for Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors and Facility
o Great Opportunity for students to raise questions and concerns in the department
o Will invite Dean of SEM to come as well to raise concerns about SEM
o Join UND IEEE at collegiate link, it is free to do this and looks good from UND standing
o Join Nationally at ieee.org/membership
o See PowerPoint for links and more details
Meeting Called to Order by Cole Johnson
• Treasury Report - Eric
o We have no money
o Pop fridge has been shut down until after Thanksgiving due to lack of profits.
Pop fridge will need to see better profits in order to stay open.
o Make sure you pay for your pops and look for people taking pop w/o paying
o Schroeder Middle School Science Fair Judges Needed
§ Two Sessions need judges
• Thursday December 1st 10:15-11:15 p.m.
• Thursday December 1st 1:15-2:15 p.m.
§ If doing one session or both Lunch will be provided
§ If interested please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
§ It will only take little more of an hour of your time and will greatly help
UND SEM Outreach
o First Lego League (FLL)
§ January 28th is the big day
§ Need over 100 volunteers are various positions.
§ Contact email@example.com for volunteering
§ November 30th, 2011 @ noon hour
§ $5 for taco-in-a-bag and pop
• Fall Plant Tours
o Sent 6 people to Fargo/Twin Cities for 5 different plant tours
o John Deere/Phoenix International, Goodrich Sensors, Great River Energy, Coal
Power Plant, Surly
• Meeting handed over to Sima for IEEE – Eta Kappa Nu
o New Organization on campus
o Looking for volunteers to be the first officers
o $50 one time fee for the organization
o Talk to firstname.lastname@example.org if interested
• Meeting handed over to Salehfar
o Important Dates
§ Spring Registration is currently on going
§ Finals Week is December 12-16
§ Graduating EEs please have exit interview with Salehfar before graduation
you can stop by his office or email him @ email@example.com
§ Order of the Engineering Ring Ceremony
• Friday, December 16 @ 11 a.m.
o EE/SEM Projects
§ New EE Department Chair Search going to start soon
§ Two 55” TVs will be used for digital signage. One will be outside student lounge and one will be outside EE offices. These will be used for all the news going around the department. Looking for student in graphic designer to help with this project
§ New Systems Lab will be going into 2nd floor where EE computer lab is currently at with the main sponsor being Rosemount and another from Rockwell Collins
§ Wireless and Antenna Measurement/Research Chamber will be going into
Lab 120. Sima got funding for this project
§ SEM IT Director: Jeremy Malheim got approval for hiring SEM Network Administrator
§ Will move all computer labs to 2nd floor in Upson for all SEM in order to control all computers in one lab and make computer space.
§ New building going between Upson and Leonard to create more space.
§ Engineering will be taking over 3rd floor and basement of Upson where
ITSS used to be located
o Stuff you need to know
§ Students coming into UND EE in Fall 2011 have new Status Sheets for the
program. This is to help with the changing curriculum at UND and after
input from gradating seniors over the years.
§ Essential Studies Updated every semester so make sure that you are taking
the correct courses for fulfill your requirements for essential studies
• Meeting Handed over to Dean of SEM, Hesham El-Rewini
o Talked about the new UND EE Chair search
o Committee is being created to review candidates
o The process will start soon
§ Search Committee if created
§ Ad will be created and sent out around December and will be placed for 2-
§ End of March will start screening candidates that applied for interviews
§ Narrow down to 4-5 candidates for on campus interview and tours
§ Will have new chair by Fall 2012
o If interested on being on the search committee or nominated someone for the committee please email the Dean of SEM at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Meeting Handed back over to Salehfar
o Fall 2011 Classes
• Was cancelled due to Dr. Faruque leaving for semester
• Was cancelled due to Dr. Fazel taking over EE480/EE481 and limitations of number of classes able to teach a semester
o Spring 2012 Electives
§ EE452/590 – Embedded Systems by Dr. Kaabouch MWF 2-2:50
§ EE490/590 – Case Studies in Electro mechanics by Dr. Miles MWF 12-
§ EE490/590 – Introduction to Antenna Engineering by Dr. Noghanian
§ EE512 – Wireless Communications by Dr. Faruque TTH 11-12:15
§ EE523 – Power Systems II by Dr. Salehfar MWF 11-11:50
o Proposed Fall 2012 Electives
§ EE451 – Computer Hardware Organization by Dr. Kaabouch
• 9 people interested
§ EE552 – Advanced Embedded Systems Design by Dr. Kaabouch
• 3 people interested
§ EE511 – Power Electronics by Dr. Salehfar
• 11 people interested
§ EE490/590 – Engineering Systems Reliability by Dr. Salehfar
• 4 people interested
§ EE512 – Wireless communications by Dr. Faruque
• 2 people interested
§ EE524 – ASIC Design by Dr. Farueque
• 7 people interested
§ EE532 – Antenna Theory by Dr. Noghanian
• 1 person interested
§ EE490/590 – Phased Array Antennas by Dr. Noghanian
• 1 person interested
§ EE545 Introduction into Biomedical Engineering by Dr. Fazel
• 8 people interested
§ EE550 – Biomedical Instrumentation by Dr. Fazel
• 1 person interested
§ EE490/590 – Avionics by Prof. Johnson
• 8 people interested
o Open Forum
§ Graduate Seminar-Course
• If students are interested contact Salehfar or Kaabouch about setting up presentation
o If any questions or comments about the department or Electrical Engineering feel free to contact Salehfar @ email@example.com
• Meeting Called to an end
December 7Meeting Minutes 10-19-11
- Treasurer’s Report
- Watch the Pop fridge for people just taking pop or money
- Make sure all IOUs are being paid
- Chili will be on Weds Nov. 2nd in Harrington Hall over the noon hours
- Is looking for volunteers for doing outreach events at various elementary schools and middle schools.
- These activities will be hands on activities that elementary school kids will be able to do.
- If interested, please contact Cheryl Osowski or E-council
- Dr. Shultz Office Dedication
- Will be held in the Nyquist Lounge on Oct. 20th at 10:30 a.m.
- FIRST Lego League
- The actually day is Jan. 28th
- We need volunteers the day of and to help planning
- If interested in either planning or the day of the event please contact Cheryl Osowski
- We need a lot of volunteers and IEEE usually provides a lot of support for this event.
- Alumni Academy Induction Ceremony
- Friday, October 21 at 1:00 pm
- Wallace W Griffin BSEE ‘62
- Gary Hartz BSCE ‘71
- Jodsaas Center, Second Floor, 100 Harrington Hall
- Friday, October 21 at 1:00 pm
- Next Meeting will be on Weds, Nov. 16th. Look for signs and emails for time and location
Public Comment (Not part of UND IEEE)
- EE Apparel ( Not affiliated with UND IEEE)
- Tessa H. will be getting designs together and will be ordering soon probably before the next meeting for design and interests
- T-shirts will be around $10-15 per shirt and will be single color print
September 26IEEE Fall Picnic
The UND IEEE Fall Picnic will be held at the usual place (University Park) at 5pm on Friday, September 30th.
Come at 5pm for the food. Or show up later. Either way, it’s a guaranteed good time.
September 269-20-2011 IEEE Meeting Minutes
IEEE Meeting 9-20-11 12:30 p.m. Harrington Hall 204
· Meeting Called to Order by Cole Johnson
· Treasure Report – Eric Schneider
o Go to go for $ for Fall Picnic
o Pop Fridge
- Only making 6 cents per can on first batch of pop
- PAY your IOUS
- Make sure people are not stealing pop
- Will be shut down if this continues
· Taco in a bag
o September 28th from 11- runs out in Harrington hall way outside lounge
o $5 for taco in a bag and pop
o Kara, Musslewhite, Nick will help work the times
o Jordan Sedio will prepare all the food
· Fall Picnic
o Date has been changed to September 30th due to Potato Bowl festivities this weekend.
o Picnic will start at 5 p.m. at University Park
o Jesse in charge of permit for U-park, Cake, and grill
o Jordan Sedio will help with purchasing food for the picnic
· Fall Plant Tours
o Going to the twin cities area
o Tentatively planned for first weekend in November (Nov. 3/4-6)
o Kara and Scott are in charge of companies and planning
o Possibly stop in Fargo and Alexandria along the way to cities
o Look for future emails for planning and specific companies and dates
· Regional Conference
o Oct 14-16th @ Chicago
o Sending 6-10 people
o Cole Johnson is finalizing plans by end of month.
- Talk to him or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in going
· Red River Valley IEEE Gold Presentations
o September 27th from 4-5:30 in Upson II Room 261
o September 29th from 4-5:30 in Upson II Room 261
o Look for emails earlier next week for more details
· Next Meeting
o Will return back to M/W/F around noon hour
o Later in mid-October
September 2IEEE Meeting Minutes
University of North Dakota IEEE Meeting
Cole Johnson calls meeting to order
o Talked about renewing membership or signing up
Treasurer’s report, Eric
o Taco in a bag on September 28th
o Pop fridge is full and operational
§ Remember to pay and watch for people taking pop without paying
§ These sales goes to the picnics in the fall and spring
o September 23rd at University Park
o Grilling burgers and brats/hotdogs
o Look for further information and signs around EE buildings
Fall plant tours
o Going to twin cities area (Date Unknown)
o Looking for someone to set up tours at various plants
Important upcoming dates
o Region Conference – Oct 14-16th
o Fall Picnic – September 23rd
o Taco-in-a-bag – September 28th
o Next meeting – Tuesday, September 20th 12:30-1:30 pm
o Talked about John Deere products and other products they work on
o Easy to move between departments
o Looking for part-time students
§ Support design of new products
§ Work with data sheets
§ Work with manufacturing engineer
o 2-4 full time job openings
§ Go to www.deere.com/en_US/careers
o 15 Part-time Jobs
§ 30-40 hrs/wk
§ Spring/Summer or Summer/Fall
o Internships available
§ Summer only
§ John Deere position
o Interviews on campus Thursday, September 8th from 1-4:30 pm
§ Sign-up sheet @ Annette’s Desk in the EE Office
§ Sign up before Wednesday (September 7th) morning
May 1IEEE Meeting Minutes
IEEE Student/Fac Meeting Minutes April 20, 2011 Noon
Meeting called to order by Noah Root (Chair for 2011-2012 school year)
Roll Call – sign in sheet
Approval on last minutes – N.A.
Previous Elections for 2011-2012 School Year
- Chair – Noah Root
- Vice Chair – Cole Johnson
- Treasurer –
- Secretary – Nicholas Enderle
- Membership – Tate Carlson
- Fundraising – Jordan Sedio
- Webmaster – Dave
- Newsletter – Tessa (Fall only, Will elect new official for spring)
- E-council Rep – Nicholas Enderle
- Spring picnic Friday, 4-29 5 p.m.
- Order of the Engineer May 13th
- Graduation May 14th
- IEEE design competition vs. NDSU Thursday April 28th starting at 6 p.m. $5 for students for meal and competition.
- North Dakota Society of Professional Engineer (NDSPE) forms in the back by sign up sheet. Free Membership for Students
- 3.14 (Pi) Mile on May 1st. See flyers for more information
- Poppke shirts will be ordered soon. See Scott for more information
Meeting is handed over to Dr. Hossein Salehfar for student/fac meeting
SEM New Projects
- IT Director, Network Administrator for entire SEM: Interviews have been going and should have one hired for next fall
- Labs, office space assessment going on for all departments: Will have more space once education building is complete
- Classroom Renovations/Improvement: More distance friendly classes and better class rooms for students
- Student Lounge: Facilities issues, work order is in waiting for them to come complete it
- Power Lab: Will be turned into systems engineering lab, Emerson will be putting $ for it
- New Lab equipment: See Annette entire list of new equipment
Changes to Curriculum & Catalog
- Engr 102
- Phil 370 changing to Phil 250
- Engr 460 replaces Econ 201
- Math 207 only 2 credits
- Talk to Advisor for more information
Fall 2011 Electives
- Engr 410 – Technology Ventures: Dr. Brian Tande – 12:00-1:00pm MWF
- EE 411 – Communications Engineering: Dr. Faruque – 12:30-1:45pm TR
- EE 423 – Power Systems I: Dr. Salehfar – 11:00-11:50am MWF
- EE 434 – Microwave Engineering: Dr. Noghanian– 2:30-3:15pm TR
- EE 451 – Computer Hardware Organization: Dr. Kaabouch – 2:00 -2:50pm MWF
- EE 506 – Digital Control Systems: Dr. Fazel – 1:00-1:50pm MWF
Possibly Spring 2012 EE Electives
- 9 Votes for EE 430 – Introduction to Antenna Engineering (Radiating Systems) OR
- 4 Votes for EE 532 – Antenna Theory
- Dr. Noghanian
- 3 Votes for EE 508 – Intelligent Decision Systems OR
- 9 Votes for EE 523 – Power Systems II
- Dr. Salehfar
- 10 Votes for EE 512 – Wireless Communications OR
- 4 Votes for EE 524 – ASIC Design
- Dr. Faruque
- 2Votes for EE 521 – Digital Signal Processing (Discrete Real Time Filtering) OR
- 7 Votes for EE 545 – Introduction to Biomedical Engineering OR
- 3 Votes for EE 456 – Digital Image Processing
- Dr. Fazel
- 11 Votes for EE 490/590 – Case Studies in Electro mechanics
- Dr. Miles
- New Faculty Member?: Dean promises one in fall
- Computer lab on 2nd Floor?: Keep the ChemEs out – Possibly Key Card Entry